These options are also available for the french bagpipes
Tuning beads and plugs
- …make it possible to change the pitch of a drone up to one note higher and thus extend the musical possibilities of the instrument
- Both systems open a tuning hole in the side of the drone
- using a tuning bead has the advantage that no loose parts are dangling from the instrument while playing
F#/F- and Ab-keys
- The half-closed fingering system of Schäferpfeifen and french bagpipes allow an almost chromatic scale over one and a half octaves
- Only for the leading note and the minor second there is no fingering. These notes can be facilitated with the help of the appropriate keys.